Re: [NTLK] PDA recommendations?

From: Josef Jahn (werewolf_at_playspoon.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 11:08:00 PST

Thomas Isenbarger wrote:
> I am not abandoning my Newton, but just looking around at what is out
> there now. . .

Traitor! Traitor, I say!

> If I wanted to buy a new PDA, what would you recommend? I would like
> it to either have Wi-Fi built in or be able to add it with a card or
> something. Also, I'd like it to play well with my PowerBook and OS X.

Hmm, I *would* recommend the Sharp Zaurus - except that it's not really a PDA but a full-blown Linux system.
Unfortunately, the PIM applications are woefully underdeveloped. Don't let the size fool you though, the Zaurus is
actually only marginally larger than the usual Palm Tungsten models. If you want something to keep your appointments,
then it's probably still ok, but nowhere near the level of MoreInfo. But then again the PIM applications on the Palm are
pretty pathetic too (IMHO)

If you're looking for a portable Do-It-All toy that you can use to wardrive, hack into enemy company networks and stuff
like that, then the Zaurus is your toy. If you're there just for the PIM, then something else might be cheaper and more
effective.

Josef