Re: [NTLK] Newton sound note to Mac

From: johnc (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 15:07:56 PST

On Jan 5, 2005, at 12:29 PM, David Neale wrote:

> I want to use my Newton to allow a Chinese-speaker to write Chinese
> script characters into a note and then record her speaking those
> characters. Seems like a good way to learn some of the language and a
> pleasant way to use the Newton, to boot.
>
> But then I want to get these notes over to a Mac (MacOS X), in order to
> be able to use them further there.
>
> I guess I can get the characters across using the Gif capture
> application (any other way?), but how can the sound memos be
> transferred?

Start here:

http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/projects/

Sean has some great resources for Chinese. With his 'radicals' program
you can input Chinese characters using his special Taipei font
(UniTaipeiX.pkg). They're a little small for learning, but OK if
someone already reads.

As for getting the sound to your Mac, there was a thread on that
recently, but I don't remember the outcome.

If you want the characters and sound in the same note, well, that's a
little trickier. You may need to create a stationery for it, and I'm
not sure where you'd start.

Don't hold your breath, but I'm trying to learn enough NewtonScript to
program a Chinese character study aid for the Newton. Nothing like
learning two difficult and obscure subjects simultaneously. Perhaps we
could get together somehow, what are you trying to do?

John