Re: [NTLK] High Quality replacement MP2x00 white backlights

From: Calvin Grier (cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 07:40:25 PST

James,

I share your desire to have a brighter backlight and that's one of the
reasons I embarked on the (long) road to engineer a replacement to the Apple
original EL backlight. David PCB-Man Humphreys tried it first, but he gave
up on his quest to engineer an LED backlight. It could still be done,
however, the cost to do it would be prohibitive.

I contracted with an EL backlight maker that had "better" materials than
Apple did in 1996. I did some comparisons and decided that most users would
be able to source an (original or aftermarket) green backlight from various
sources for an extended period of time. In order to sell something that
people would want I'd need something unique. I chose to make white. A
brighter green EL backlight can be made today - but most people's eyes can't
distiguish a 10 or 15% improvement in brightness in day to day use. A 2x or
4x improvement would be possible only by changing to LED or CCFL backlights.

I've sold close to 100 of the white backlights and I have not had one of
them returned. Most upgraders like the improved black on white appearance of
the display. I'd be willing to make a production run for an order of
improved green displays, but I'd need advance orders for at least 50
backlights.

--Calvin