Re: [NTLK] (still) Trouble backing up Newton

From: William Pociengel (hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 09:46:38 PST

Roland Roberts wrote:

> Well, no one has responded to my earlier message, so I'll follow up
> myself with a second call for help :-(
>
> For more details of where I'm at, read on, but here are my main
> questions:
>
> o Are there any other options for NBU besides serial (I think the answer
> is no, but hope springs eternal...)?
AFAIK the only guaranteed way to do everything off newt that was
supposed to happen off newt is to go back to the original platform. the
SW was all designed to run on a particular platform, it worked there it
should always work there.

every other option works, to some degree or another, on whatever
platform you currently have depending on potential conflicts with what's
installed. I've used newten to move packages, on my 12"powerbook
(panther) ; I've not really tried backing up. I have tried syncing
calender, names and journal to varying degrees of success. but since i'm
working in a nasty oily machine shop then I'm not about to potentially
sacrifice any of my newts. so it's not geting heavy use therefore I'm
not pushing solving these issues at this time. pity as I could really
use the features.

william

--
special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far
along a path that you cannot explain anymore.