[NTLK] (still) Trouble backing up Newton

From: Roland Roberts (roland_at_astrofoto.org)
Date: Sat Dec 17 2005 - 11:50:57 PST

Well, no one has responded to my earlier message, so I'll follow up
myself with a second call for help :-(

For more details of where I'm at, read on, but here are my main
questions:

o Are there any other options for NBU besides serial (I think the answer
  is no, but hope springs eternal...)?

o I'm getting a consistent error (-48418) when using SimpleMail from my
  old newt, but not from the new one, when disconnecting from the net at
  the end of sending the message. I'm using a WaveLAN/IEEE gold card.
  The message seems to be sent, but the newt requires a reset before I
  can send any other mail. Any idea on how to track down the cause?

o I'm trying to configure a second newton the same as my primary one to
  have quick replacement handy. Some packages are copy protected, so I
  can't beam them back and forth. With an, iffy serial connection, what
  are my options for getting these over to the other newt?

    me> I've been a bad boy and haven't been very good about backing up
    me> my Newt, and decided yesterday I had better do so again before I
    me> started playing around with installing a wireless card and
    me> drivers. The last time I did a backup was two years ago, with
    me> the same configuration I have now, a Windows 95 *virtual* host
    me> running on VMWare where the real OS is Linux. This worked just
    me> fine two years ago (:-| when I tried it immediately after
    me> installing hte PCBMan board. At that point I had been having
    me> trouble with reliable connections and with the new
    me> board/connector it worked.

I've not been able to back up my Newton yet. I've swapped the direct
serial connection for a USB->serial connector and have dropped the speed
down to 9600 to try to get through. I consistently have trouble at
higher speeds :-( It's running a backup now, but I have low confidence
that it will work because even at 9600 I've been having trouble
installing large packages. On the other hand, it's still running and
this is longer than it has gone before....

I have an old "Mac" which is really a PowerComputer 150 (remember
them?). I had stripped down the machine for kid's games until the
CD-ROM died about a year ago at which point it went into the corner. I
pulled it out and bought a cheap CD-ROM which is listed on the FWB
Toolkit supported list (Toshiba XM5401), but the toolkit configuration
won't let me activate the drive and claims it is not supported >:-(

I was going to use the CD to get the NCU/NBU tools onto the old mac as
well as restore it to fully functional mode. I can get the tools onto
the mac from UNNA by putting them on another host and mounting it via
appletalk, so that's not a showstopper.

I've also picked up a second Newton off ebay as a back-up, but this is
going to be a somewhat painful configuration since i am currently
beaming packages back and forth. Some of them are copy-protected, so
that doesn't work...can't beam, can't load, ack!

Oh, the good folks at StandAlone sent me the keys I had lost for some of
the packages I purchased from them years ago. Kudos to their help
staff!

roland

--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland_at_rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court