Re: [NTLK] Newton 110 Hand reconition is horrible. Connection issues

From: Richard (newtontalk_at_rssternberg.org)
Date: Sat Dec 17 2005 - 19:24:33 PST

IMHO, the first Newton that really did handwriting recognition was
the 120. Apple spent a fortune promoting their ground-breaking PDA
for its multiple capabilities, but they focused on the handwriting
recognition. In fact, the only form of handwriting recognition that
worked on the Original, the 100, and the 110 was Graffiti. The
software was not publicized under the name Graffiti back then.
Multitudes came in response to the marketing campaign for the
Original, then the 100, and then the 110. Many responded with the old
saying of "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."
By the third time around, the only solid non-hobbyist market was
medical doctors who found the pen-based, checklists fascinating as a
potential tool in chart maintenance and diagnostics. The handwriting
recognition could be made to work in a lab, but not in real life.
Wall Street panned it.

The funny part is that the 120 actually worked. At that point, Apple
management still led by Aurelio was under fire. There was little
funding for a new advertising campaign. And, it would have been hard
to pitch the message: "Newton handwriting recognition: we finally put
sufficient processor power and software inside to make it work." But,
after passing on the earlier models, I adopted the 120 for my law
firm. Later, I bought one 2000 and one 2100. They are even better at
it. I could write recognizable notes while balancing the Newton on
the steering wheel. The police probably wouldn't approve ;-0 but,
the software was amazing.

But, I'm sorry to say that the 110, in my experience, was ineffective
at handwriting recognition. It was, however, significantly better at
Graffiti than my new Treo 650! Also, it will get MUCH better if you
take the time to use the handwriting training program. It will teach
the Newton how you form your letters. After about 30 days of
training, the Newton will be much better than it was out of the box.
If it is a 110 or earlier, it will still be too slow to enjoy.

As an aside, are you the same guy who was trolling here? I suppose I
have no objection to you being here if you behave, but an apology
will make the wheels roll more smoothly.