Re: [NTLK] Holidays 2006

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 08:22:02 PST

I emailed with Brian last year to find out his take on the Holidays package he creates and here is what he has to say:

  I have thought about how to ask users to enter the data for these
events: should you use a Note or a spreadsheet or something else? All that
data parsing seems pretty unattractive to me as a programmer. All that
data entry also seems bad as a user.
I keep hoping that Eckhart Köppen's www.40hz.org site with IC/VC and
all his other great Newton programs will be a replacement for the
holidays and these other calendar packages. With this technology you should
be able to get iCal events off the Internet directly. Alas it has not
worked for me, but I have not been able to put any real effort into
debugging this path.

The code I use for Holidays is very simple: it is a just a wrapper
around the published newtonscript call to the ROM that adds events to your
calendar. Anyone with modest Newtonscript skills could do the same
thing.

Good syncing technology also would remove the need for these types of
packages since if you can get the events into your desktop calendar, you
can move them into your Newt.

I think in the end, the sync'ing and import technologies are more
important to the overall health of Newton as a platform.

  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net> wrote:
  Lavergne, Pete J [LTD] wrote:
> I contacted Brian at Toad Hollow Software to see if he will be producing
> the Holidays 2006 package this year. He indicated he would not be able
> to. Does anyone have the ability to create that package?

Well, we'd need him to release the source code for starters. Checked the site
(http://members.aol.com/bkogilvie/) and there's no source for last year's edition.

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial