Re: [NTLK] Sorry folks but I am giving up...

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Dec 10 2005 - 03:40:47 PST

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Sorry folks but I am giving up...
From: laurie <laurie.jane.kern () earthlink ! net>
Date: 2005-12-07 21:50:53

> oh darn and I love ebooks!!!!

Don't tell me you didn't know about http://www.stillnewt.org/library
and all the other bookplaces out there...

> What killed it for me? Well lets see....
> 1) I sold the computer I had originally been using so I had to
> download all the software again - and I am still on dialup so doing it
> at work is a PITA.

Dear me, you sold a desktop without keeping a CD-R or CD-RW or even Zip
cartridge of your personal files and data?! <gasp!> And if you did, why
not include your Newton software, or simply a backup of Fig? Or buy a
UNNA-CD or DVD?

> 2) My (personal) new computer is a TabletPC which does not have a
> serial port so I would have had to purchase a serial to usb converter
> and then deal with getting the connection to work...

The USB thing wouldn't be impossible. AFAIK it only needs the driver
installed on the desktop, plug in cable, works.
    Plus there is the option of attaching to the internet directly via
modem or LAN, or use Bluetooth or Wifi to connect to TabletPC...

Windows Connectibility info is here
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/WindowsConnection . You
could even use IR to beam stuff
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/IrDAConnection (assuming
TabletPC has IR port). Do you have a modem built in that slab? Then you
could do this:
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MODEMtoMODEM .
And if you'd still have had a bootstrapping problem (drivers lacking on
Fig...), then you could have bought one of the inexpensive 20 MB card
from Frank Gruendel or Russ Bravo (about EUR 20,-- incl postage, IIRC)
and ask them to put on any packages you'd thing you might need.

> 3)I loved playing NewTris, reading ebooks, taking quick notes but... I
> was never happy with various things: route to "delete"
> - now that just did not seem logical to me;

Route to delete (NOS)--just as intuitive as clicking Start to power
down (Win) or dragging a CD to the trash can to eject (Mac).

> some apps I wanted did not exist;

Like what?

There's a bunch of things I'm missing, too, and I usually dump the idea
on the wishlist
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/SoftwareWishlist , hoping
somebody someday wants to start a project and picks it up. At least the
idea has a tiny chance, whereas if I'd only grumbled about this and
later forgot about it...

> but I LOVED the handwriting and that is why I have a TabletPC
> (hpTC1100); carrying the tablet and Fig was a bit tooooo much at
> times.

I can see that. Well, but for reading and a couple games (Gomoku, Su
Doku, WordSquare, OtherWords, Jack Burke's stuff,...) and an address
book with dates the Newton is sweet. What else do you need when
commuting?

> 4) I am on the road for work and so I could not get information "out"
> too easily as I can not load "other" software on my work laptop.

How about using a USB stick to plug into the work laptop and have your
Newton tools there? Or download all you need at work to that USB stick,
plug it in at home and transfer to Fig.

> 5) I could not get my email on it - though last year I worked on that
> for several weekends.

I tried Simon Bells's latest SimpleMail (I have POP mail), but even
though this has a brilliant manual (decent documentation--quite an
exception with many Newton apps!), things wouldn't fly. So I wrote down
every single step I took. This helped to retrace where I went wrong,
also Simon Bell showed saintly patience in helping me.
    The resulting documentation is available here
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/E-Mail . Too bad nobody
ever bothered to cover Mail V the same way for IMAP users, too.

> So in the end I felt I was always fighting some issue, spending loads
> of
> time reading posts to the list tracking down stuff - but with being on

I *so* know what you mean. It's what's costing us more users than any
storage or CPU power limitation. But it's our own fault.

If everybody who'd tried something new would take notes on the way and
put them up on the Wiki, things would be much less painful for all. Any
newbie can do this. If you put down several days work for EVERY
FRIGGIN' SINGLE COOL THING the Newton can supposedly do but that's not
or only most vaguely documented, you'll go insane. If everybody would
cover some topic s/he's twiddling with, there'll be more HowTos for
all, more time saved, more joy.

> So, I have a buyer for Fig, now I need to find a nice home for the
> other one.

Hmh, that's an original one, right? Still okay for ebooks... Hmh... So
how can we get that OMP hooked to the TabletPC...? ;=}

DJV.