Re: [NTLK] [OT] Outcome of Old iBook Sale...

From: James Grubic (jgrubic_at_bozeman.k12.mt.us)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 07:23:26 PDT

Just to chime in on this subject...

You will find that many school districts have areas where they collect
old computer equipment (and software) like the Apple II and IIgs,
PowerMac G3, eMates, and even some iMacs. We have such an area and we do
our best to make sure that only the really obsolete and broken stuff
gets sent there. However, some teachers unwittingly send "newer"
machines like iMacs there which can be used elsewhere. This is why I
routinely check out the equipment that gets sent there.

We occasionally gather some older machines up for recycling, but many of
them will sit there for years before they are sent to be disposed of in
this manner. Our local university doesn't even do this; they
unfortunately just get sent to the landfill after their fire sale.

The "auction price" for any of our machines ranges from $10 and up. This
is why I was not surprised by the Henrico iBook price. The knowledgeable
buyer will find all sorts of great equipment. All you need to do is call
enough people in your school district until you find the person
responsible for this old equipment.

We are a relatively small school district. I can only imagine how much
the larger school districts have stored. I've found things in our
auction area like a signed Apple IIgs model complete with hard drive
setup, PC compatibility cards unopened in box, ADB touchscreens, etc.

James