Re: [NTLK] Is Newbie's 2100 dying?

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 06:41:32 PDT

Hi James,

Yes, if you have an English ROM you will need either a German ROM or eMate =
ROM.
The short on this is that the Flash Ram can at times (though rare) get
corrupted. This will flush the Flash Ram and any Patches that may have
been applied - the Patches can later be re-applied.

There are many solutions to this issue you are having.

1) Using Frank's Reset Instructions (all of them) and seeing if that
works. (which you have tried)

2) Often leaving the batteries/rchg pack & adapter out for a few days
then trying again for others have resolved this issue.

3) On a recent occasion the reset button was at fault. I think Frank
in this situation suggested looking at that again.
3a) There is always the possiblity that there is crud in the reset
button area or that the actual reset button may have been damaged
giving this result... you can try the Newton with the back cover off
paying attention to the feel of the reset button when depressed. It's
a crisp click in my experience. Check it again! :)

4) Then there is his Flash Ram flush that I mention here.

5) Of course there is the bad answer that the Newton has either had
incorrect adapter used with it or there was a surge of some sort. In
either case the Newton is damaged and will only cycle through.

In this situation you will need to get a replacement motherboard.
Check if anyone near by has one or on list... if not contact me
off-list and I will check my box... I'll be rummaging through as I do
the backlight installs soon.

Oh by the way just a last minute thought.
If you have no batteries/rchg pach or a/c connected to your Newton you
may want to try holding the reset for about 20-30 seconds. Then leave
it for a day or two then try with a fresh set of batteries... This was
what I normally do with my old Palm III when it went flaky and it
seemed to like all it's power drained at times before it would like to
wake up nicely...

Not sure if it will cure your issue for sure but I hope it may.

--=20
God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family