[NTLK] Is Newbie's 2100 dying?

From: James Lee (kingjames_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 10:53:11 PDT

Hello Everybody,

As this is the first time I'm posting on NewtonTalk, please forgive me
if this post is too lengthy or has been offensive to anyone in any
unintended manner.

I recently acquired an upgraded 2000 off the eBay. It came with a 4Mb
flash memory card and a fax/modem card. The day it arrived, I was able
to power it on and cursory testing, e.g. touching the screen and
writing with the stylus, revealed it to be "in running condition." A
few days later, when I powered it on, it wouldn't run past the start-up
screen. It will flash the Newton start up screen for a fraction of a
second and then it shuts off. I've found that my half-strength
rechargeable battery tends to give only one or two flashes of the
start-up screen when I press the reset button. Whereas with fresh
alkaline batteries, I can get about 8 to 10 flashes of the start-up
screen. I've tried powering up with a compatible AC adapter from
RadioShack but I obtained the same result as with fresh AA batteries. I
do not have a Newton AC adapter.

I've found that, after pressing the reset button, if I were hold down
the on/off button while my MP is flashing the start-up screen, it will
instead go into the "Do you want to erase the data?" window. If I were
to leave this window on without clicking "yes" or "no," it will hold
steady for about 30 seconds, after which the MP will power off. If I
click "no" to data erasure, it will return to the flashing start-up
screen. If I click "yes" then it will say that it is "erasing data and
system will reboot in a couple of minutes." However, this window will
again hold steady for about 30 seconds before powering off again, but
without rebooting the system at all.

Also, after this problem began, if either the 4Mb flash memory card or
the fax/modem card or both were inserted into the slots, my MP would
not even flash the start-up screen when I press the reset button.

I've also done "power drain reset" on my MP, as described in the FAQs,
for more than 7 times but each time to no avail.

I greatly value any advice or suggestions directed towards reviving my
MP. Returning it to the seller may not be an available option. Thank
you.

Newbie James