Re: [NTLK] First Newton ever (and first post)

From: Puckdropper (puckdropper_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 19:01:00 PDT

I usually recommend the PC Serial cable from J&K
sales. It's about $12 plus S&H, much less than a
dongle (Interconnect to Mac Serial adapter) or a Mac
serial cable.

You can't transfer packages via PCMCIA card to/from
your PC (yet) as they speak different languages
completely. Either side will likely tell you the card
is not formatted.

Your options for connecting over serial are thus:
1) Buy a dongle
2) Buy the appropriate cable (and make sure it has
the interconnect port on one side.)
3) Use a SER-001 board to add a real serial port to
the Newton
4) Hack your newton to use the mac serial port (NOT
RECOMMENDED)
5) Get an old 386 with Windows 3.1, the PC serial
cable, and use that to talk to your Newt. (Or any PC
with a serial port... I've used Server 2003 and
Windows XP to talk to my Newt.)
6) Find a user in the area who will let you borrow or
simply use his serial cable to put the needed drivers
on.

Puckdropper
P.S. You may want to take a look at some of the
resources at the bottom of this message.