Re: [NTLK] Bluetooth to internet through Windows and Pairing question

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 09:45:51 PDT

On Apr 23, 2005, at 11:19 PM, Zoont Foomby wrote:
> My Windows VM says it offers Lan over PPP, which is a good step.
> However, whenever I try to use Newt's Cape with an internet connection
> setup to use Bluetooth, it starts connecting, and then Windows asks me
> to enter a pin to pair the Newt to Windows so that it can allow the
> transaction.
Did you try looking through the Windows "properties" for some
authentication you can disable perhaps?
> Well guess what... I've already Paired. Dozens of times.
> It seems to forget about the pairing or something. I pair manually by
> starting from Windows and finding my Newton in the "my Bluetooth
> places" dealy and then once I find my Newt, I right-click and select
> "pair" and enter my pin and then enter it in the pair dialog in Blunt
> and wammo - paired. But even if I have blunt open to pair again when I
> try to surf the web, the pairing always fails.
Did you try initiating pairing from the Newton? Also, I had a
somewhat similar issue in pairing with my t610, and I used the same
pairing key which worked. ie use 1234 as your pairing key when
originally pairing, then when the computer (the newton in my case the
windows in yours) asks again try giving it that same 1234? I guess
this might not work if windows is going to attempt to pair...

> I think Windows expects some sort of dialog to pop open on my newt to
> enter the pin number when it asks about re-pairing, but the only way
> to enter a pairing pin I know of is to go into Bluetooth setup, find
> my laptop, and hit the routing button's pair item. Is there any other
> way to pair?
I don' think so... did you try using the above approach and selecting
"accept" before connecting to windows?

> And while we are on it, is there any way to make a recent version of
> Outlook work with my Newt? LookOut seems to be years and years old...
> certainly not Outlook 2000 or 2003 era. Even if it did work, is there
> any way to initiate data transfers from inside of Outlook or at least
> have items OBEXd from the Newt just automatically show up in Outlook?
Sorry to not be too much help with this, but I have been living in the
OSX world.
I use Mail V on the Newt and IMAP mail on the Mac and PC, this allows
Outlook or any other IMAP capable mail client to access the same data
as the Newton. This also encourages me to key my inbox tidy.

Marty