[NTLK] need advice on emate hinge and battery rebuild

From: Tom W. (thenortherner_at_cogeco.ca)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 06:00:46 PDT

I just did the emate hinge fix with the excellent instructions for
dismantling on Frank's site. It was relatively painless, except that now,
the lid is quite easy to put down, but offers stiffer resistance to put up.
I'm not sure if I need to be concerned about that. The pins did not require
any of the straightening. I just put the washer over them.

My only sour points in the affair were that one of the screen screws did not
want to go snugly back in, and when I first looked at the display cable
after removing it, I thought, perhaps I should have diagrammed or
photographed that (as I couldn't immediately remember how it was situated),
but the reverse assembly was relatively painless, even the soldering.

I would say, after having done this, that if I were going to do it again, I
would much rather pay someone else to do it, like the very reasonable $35
that someone one the list was charging.

But the batteries, on the other hand, have been a source of frustration.

We have just tried to rebuild both a 2x00 battery and an emate battery. When
we turn it on and try and charge it, it appears to charge, but the charging
bar only goes across about 5 per cent and then it says the main battery
cannot be charged and needs to be replaced.

We purchased those green batteries from ebay, 2100 ma and thought we
followed the instructions perfectly.

Any ideas? It's hard to believe we did the same thing wrong twice, but of
course, we could have.

Tom