Re: [NTLK] [OT] keyboarding (was perfect hardware)

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 06:21:54 PDT

dan.thaning_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I used a TI-92 http://www.ticalc.org/basics/calculators/ti-92.html to
> type many school papers, developed my own one-handed qwerty style.
> I put the swedish едц on the F-keys( look at the layout here
> http://www.ticalc.org/images/calcs/92-big.gif). To this day I still
> type sligthly faster with one hand than with two because I never
> learned learned proper qwerty.

Wow. That's about the weirdest typing style I've ever heard of, kudos! :)

The vast, vast majority of NTLK people obviously know some level of typing...
but there are many people out there who never had to learn and so they are
able to pick up any keyboard layout. For example, I had a friend who worked
in a department that developed and engineered warehouse systems. The first
time he got there he found that all of the warehouse computer systems
(embedded Symbol devices, IIRC) all had the keys layed out in order (ABCDE
etc) and in a perfect grid. For him it was horrible to use, but for the
warehouse workers it was the only keyboard they every used and they were very
fast with it.

Sorry to jump OT but I find this topic facinating.