Re: [NTLK] Value of a Clear model MP110???

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 21:55:13 PDT

Eiren,

A Harris ST2K is a variant of the MP1x0 Newton.
What I do know about it is that it's likely a Digital Ocean variant of
their Tarpon.
Harris had these units made geared for the Tel com Field.
They were suppose to contact via radio likely their service truck
which then connected to the main office. You would download needed Tel
com schematics and other items and log your service calls though it.
Also it was suppose to have dongle connectors to test wiring.
These were beta tested is small test groups. Unfortunately they were
not sold due to the cancellation of the Newton by Apple which killed
contracts that Harris was working on. Harris did try to sue Apple but
that never got anywhere.

I was able to contact a Harris Technician but unfortunately I
contacted him after Harris had sold this division to Fluke and they
had already discarded most of their older product information. I was
able to find out that they from him that he had some chicken scratch
notes regarding specs they were working on but nothing official. Was
not able to get those chicken scratch off him though.

Sometime last year a few units appeared on eBay from one seller and I
was able to get a few unit from those auctions. Then I believe two
more appeared. One latter unit which Mark has came with the
rechargeable pack and a strap. The other unit someone else purchased
has the Rubber Boot... It seems these units are likely MP120's with
after market back lights installed. They majority are blueish and I
happen to have one that's green. Many of the units were not marked.
Some were marked Harris on the front. Other were marked also on the
back with the Harris label. Some also were marked inside the battery
compartment with a label. Th battery that Mark has is marked with the
Harris label. I have two variants on the protective flip cover. They
had two movable clips on the inside and they either came in black or a
gray. They also had a docking connector on the top most were Silver
colored contacts while I have one that was Gold colored.

These are really neat units but not too much info in available on the
iNet nor have I been able to find anything else anywhere... If anyone
else has info please speak up... It looks like the rechargeable packs
are NiMH also but are 5 celled with a PCB contact board..

Generally you have to jury rig a connector to provide power to the
Harris to test them. I have fabricated a connector especially for this
purpose...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung