Re: [NTLK] [Q] GPS map making tutorials/links?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 05:53:37 PDT

Johannes Wolf wrote:
> DJ,
>
> AFAIK there is no tutorial or collection of tips and hints written yet.
> The only document we have is the PDF from the author of GPSmap that is on
> Unna.
> I have that in german and it is called "Erzeugen von Map-containern fuer GPS
> Map" Ver. 1.5

Indeed. I have used this documentation and the utilities to make map packages
for GPSMap. It's just tedious. I don't know why Gerd didn't write a utility
that just let you typed in all the parameters (including paths to map images,
etc etc etc) and output the NTK source file. If it existed I could hack
together a script that would grab map images off the web and generate their
NTK files, then is would just be a matter of chugging through NTK to compile
them all. (I use WinNTK, it's not scriptable like MacNTK is).

That said, the only thing I don't know are the calculations that those
utilities make (ie. the formulas). Perhaps I'll ping Gerd and pretty-please
ask for them...