[NTLK] An excellent language translator and vocabulary trainer

From: Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail (izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 16:55:12 PDT

Dear fellow Newton Talkers!

I am putting in a good word for PowerTrans an excellent package for
NOS. When I bought my Newton a few short months ago this gem of a
program came along with the purchase. Let me tell you, this is one
great app.

It was the worlds' FIRST electronic language translator with a
vocabulary trainer.

John M Powel who bought PowerTrans a few years ago from the developer
has kept it from becoming abandonware.

I will quickly some of the key features incase anyone in our community
is looking for such a solution:
Multiple Languages
• Comes with English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese
• Extend with additional languages created on your own (LOVE this
feature, Jon Glass if you are reading this, remember the Polish to
English translator you were looking for? Looks like this is it! Yes
Jon, Polish is there, just gotta create it. How…I'm looking into it,
but I can tell you that it comes with a handy dandy package for
converting txt files into packages, doubles up as a great newton book
creator.)

• Record and play speech for each phrase (very cool! Large storage
cards here I come.)
• Add new phrases or translations or customize the predefined language
dictionaries, by the way, this could be great to collaborate on!
• More than 15 different international keyboards included, useable in
any newton application.
• Maintain language dictionaries on a desktop computer, windows or mac
of course.

There is a language trainer too!
designed for for training selected phrases according to their language
level, using a schedule which repeats vocabulary learning at intervals.

I hope you check out the web page and if you find this application
useful go out and buy it, I would love to see John Powel make a return
on his investment and have you use what may be an essential tool
missing on your Newton.

With that being said how many of you out here use PowerTans?