Re: [NTLK] printing q

From: karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 05:41:50 PDT

Roman Pixell wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2004, at 12:09 PM, Robert Benschop wrote:
>

>>I haven't really followed the LPR printer driver development closely,
>>but maybe that might be of help here?
>

> well, since my printer is a USB printer, it still doesnt have an IP
> address. thats what i hoped to solve with an airport base station,
> since they can hook up USB printers to the network.

If you happen to have a spare Linux-capable computer with USB and
ethernet, an ethernet card for your Newt and a crossover ethernet
cable, you can print PostScript-quality output rather easily.

See here:

http://newtonlink.sourceforge.net/Newton_and_Linux-mini-HOWTO.html

and look for: "How to print from a Newton using Linux"

One caveat: Netatalk is a funky and slightly buggy piece of software,
and will especially refuse to start automatically, even if set up to
do so. Other than that it works beautifully.

Karel Jansens