Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple G4 500 MHz 15'' Titanium PowerBook - fair price? Is it good?

From: Fearghas Macgregor (fearghas_at_mail.idg.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 14:00:20 PDT

> - What's a fair price?

Not sure, maybe something aroung $500, but I'll let the US
readers enlighten you

> - Is it good?

They are excellent machines, really light and good to use
> - What can I expect from the rechargeables, and how
>expensive is the
> replacement? Is a DIY hack possible to recell the pack?

The batteries should be ok, they wont be that old, and
they don't have any memory problems or anything. New ones
should be around $100 (I think) and Recelling is a nono as
far as I know.
> - What do I need to check this machine for, what's the
>usual traps, bugs
> and caveats of that series?

Check for Keyboard marks on the screen, and check the
screen hinges and frames, they were prone to breaking. It
is likely that there will be some chips in the paint used,
this is pretty much unavoidable. Mostly they shouldbe ok
though
> - What would be needed to make it talk Bluetooth?

A usb bluetooth adaptor is available, and certain ones
(D-LinK DBT-120) Will work as if it were built in with
Apple's own bluettoh prefrences

> - Can I upgrade to modern OS X releases w/o losing the
>option to boot into
> MacOS 9.x?

I think you should be able to dual boot, I can't see any
reason why not
> - Can this machine run GarageBand?

It will, but It wont be blistering, but better than a g3.

> - What would I need on the PB/on the Newt to sync data?

A USB-Serial adaptor- If you have a Pc-Newt cable, then
your options are chepaer, I use one from
www.easy-sync.co.uk. If you have a MacSerial-Newt then you
can use a Keyspan adaptor

Software wise, I use NewtSync and Newten (package
installer)

Hope this helps,

Fearghas MacGregor