[NTLK] [OT] Apple G4 500 MHz 15'' Titanium PowerBook - fair price? Is it good?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 13:45:32 PDT

Dear all,

I've been offered above mentioned 2001 Apple PowerBook (MacOS 9.x, OS X,
large Display, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB HD, USB 1, Firewire, only 1 PC-Card Slot,
IrDa, cool looks...) under very interesting conditions (fitting my economic
situation - and that of the seller) and I'm hoping for some support in my
decision whether to buy or not. So here some OT-questions, perhaps you can
generously lighten my tremendous ignorance:

- What's a fair price?
- Is it good?
- What can I expect from the rechargeables, and how expensive is the
replacement? Is a DIY hack possible to recell the pack?
- What do I need to check this machine for, what's the usual traps, bugs
and caveats of that series?
- What would be needed to make it talk Bluetooth?
- Can I upgrade to modern OS X releases w/o losing the option to boot into
MacOS 9.x?
- Can this machine run GarageBand?
- What would I need on the PB/on the Newt to sync data?

I'm not too Mac-savvy (well, I upgraded a pizzabox PPC 6100 and a Performa
and maintained them for me luv for over five or six years and we published
a print mag with them, but that don't make me a wizzard, least of all of
anything post-1996 and better than MacOS 8.5), so kindly bear with me.

Thanks,

'Kasko