Re: [NTLK] Hi. I'm New!

From: David Hitt (dhitt_at_hatbag.net)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 12:19:30 PDT

On Sep 12, 2004, at 1:51 PM, keith wrote:

> You'll need either a 'Mac serial to Mac serial' cable plus a
> serial-to-USB dongle if you want to connect it to your Mac. To
> connect to your PC, you need a 'Mac serial to Windows serial' cable,
> as every PC I know of still has the chunky RS 232 serial socket on
> the back.

Alternately, get the Mac serial to RS 232 cable, that will connect the
Newton to the PC, and get a RS 232 to USB cable, which will then let
you connect it to the Mac, and then you can do both with the same set
up.
As an added bonus, the RS 232 to USB cable can be had much more cheaply
than the Mac serial to USB converter.

One thing you'll learn quickly in the NTLK community is that there's
rarely one right answer to the question "How do I..." The Newton is
robust enough that there are usually several solutions to any problem,
and everyone has to pick the one that's right for them.

David