Re: [NTLK] Hi. I'm New!

From: keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 11:51:26 PDT

>I think I do have the dongle. It's the one that you also use to connect the
>keyboard? If so, yes I have it. If not, then no.
>
>I don't have the "Mac serial to RS 232 (PC serial)"
>
>I don't have a memory card for my Newton.
>
>(Btw, it is possible to get a memory card, save my text there and there put
>that in the memory card slot on my powerbook?)

Hi Roberto - welcome to the Newton community!

It sounds like you got a reasonably good package - keyboard, dongle
and MessagePad 2000 is a great core setup. You'll need a bit more to
get it connected to your Mac and/or PC, but I'm fairly sure the
people here can help you get up and running.

Do be prepared for a little experimenting. These things are like
owning a muscle car rather than a cheap tinny hatchback; damn
rewarding and fun, but you do need to do a little setting up.

Newton-format memory cards can't be read by other operating systems.
The data is stored in a way that is *very* different from desktop OS
formats.

That keyboard dongle is just what you need to connect a serial cable
to the Newton. (You can install a serial socket directly, bypassing
the need for the dongle, but you don't *need* to do that.

You'll need either a 'Mac serial to Mac serial' cable plus a
serial-to-USB dongle if you want to connect it to your Mac. To
connect to your PC, you need a 'Mac serial to Windows serial' cable,
as every PC I know of still has the chunky RS 232 serial socket on
the back.

I'm working on getting a wireless card to work with my AirPort
network at home (and at work too, eventually), but for now I use
either a serial connection to the (ugly little) PC on my home network
for syncing, or an Ethernet cable and Ethernet PC card for printing.

      Keith Martin   Technical Editor, MacUser magazine
      MacUser Help   mailto:help_at_macuser.co.uk
      direct (work)  +44 (0)20 7907 6360
            mobile   0790 954 1365