Re: [NTLK] 3.3V CARDS ARE NOT AUTOMATICALLY BAD! WAS Re: I found a GPS...

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 03:19:06 PDT

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 10:44:48PM -0400, Brian wrote:
> The only common GPS card I know of offhand that needs a custom driver
> is the DeLorme Tripmate, and someone come up with a custom app for
> that, it's on UNNA
> (<http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/GPSView/GPS_View_3.txt>).
> There might be others, but this is the only protocol I know of as being
> currently deciphered and useable on the Newton.
>
> Other cards, NMEA (ASCII) is usual and standard. And you need to care
> not a whit about drivers or 5.5 vs. 3V.

FWIW, the Tripmate just needs a bit of a kickstart rather than an actual
driver. When Tripmate powers up it sends three NMEA messages, two
proprietary Rockwell lines, and a standard one (PRWIRID (the reciever
ID of this particular unit), GPRMC (a single position info line), and
PRWIZCH (channel status)) then keeps sending a "ASTRAL" string. It
requires the computer to respond to the "ASTRAL" string by sending a
"ASTRAL" string to the unit. After this exchange the unit works like a
normal NMEA unit, and sends a position info line about ever second.

--
12. One of my advisors will be an average five-year-old child. Any flaws in my
    plan that he is able to spot will be corrected before implementation.