[NTLK] 3.3V CARDS ARE NOT AUTOMATICALLY BAD! WAS Re: I found a GPS...

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 19:44:48 PDT

On Friday, September 10, 2004, at 09:45 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> From: John Charlton <johncharlton_at_mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] I found a GPS PCMCIA Card! But it won't work :(
> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:38:57 -0400
>

> On 10-Sep-04, at 1:52 PM, Victor Rehorst wrote:
>
>> From the specs,
>
> Mentions the old 3V thing. Could that be a problem?

arrrrgh. This has become an urban legend.

3.3V cards will NOT automatically kill your Newton. 3.3V cards usually
work just fine. The Newton will use 3.3V and 5V just fine. 5V is of
course more of a drain... but it's not going to kill anything.

Hiroshi's wireless driver at one point (still?) forgot to CHECK if the
wireless card inserted was 3.3V or 5V, and in fact assumed 5V. Thus,
if you put in a 3.3V card, BAD THINGs would happen as it would send out
5.5. But that's a limit of that driver, and the way he implemented
things. 3.3V cards as a rule, can and do work just fine.

Most GPS cards are just seen as a serial device, and will work just
fine, 3.3V OR 5V, no matter what (most I think, are 3.3V). Apple
designed the drivers for serial cards, and they check.

The only common GPS card I know of offhand that needs a custom driver
is the DeLorme Tripmate, and someone come up with a custom app for
that, it's on UNNA
(<http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/GPSView/GPS_View_3.txt>).
There might be others, but this is the only protocol I know of as being
currently deciphered and useable on the Newton.

Other cards, NMEA (ASCII) is usual and standard. And you need to care
not a whit about drivers or 5.5 vs. 3V.

This has come up a lot, and recently. From the archive:

Paul Guyot:
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=109155282827031&w=2

myself:
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=108870742503833&w=2

others? I know exist but I didn't pull them up quickly on MARC.

In a nutshell, and especially for GPS, there is NO "3.3V thing" to
deal with. With a caveat, be careful for 802.11b. :/

Death to urban legends;

Brian

--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only