Re: [NTLK] Software prices

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 01:33:16 PDT

>From: "Frank Gruendel" <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
>Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:11:21 +0200
>
>> really this is an obsolete piece of hardware. It would be
>> unfair to pay premium prices for software when the
>> hardware is no longer supported by Apple,
>
>Err... pardon? Why should a software that works perfectly
>on a device that's one month old cost less just because said
>device is 5 years old and no longer supported?

        Right on Frank. I would say it is much more likely to find "expensive" support in areas where the normal level of support is gone, because the it is special service and requires special effort for the service-provider. Try getting new or prime-condition parts for your vintage car, I doubt they come for free. Regarding the Newton, I never bought much software (because there's plenty of freeware) safe for the things I felt I really needed & use a lot (such More Folders). Bought More Folders because I, well, really needed more folders for my studies; and if I cannot get RTF export to work better I might have to dump a hefty $40 on X-Port (thanks for the hint folks). Because I was & am too lazy to convert all my notes into type, because I want & need them to be available on the Mac as well.
        In short: There are basically three kinds of things - (1) the ones you need, (2) the ones you want, (3) and the rest. As we are often a bit off track these days, many things tend to accumulate under (2). If you have a class (1) item though (may it be a kidney, a piece of software that allows you to do what you need to do, or something as everyday as fuel) you are often not in the position to complain about the price, at least not successfully. Sometimes that is sad, admittedly.

Oliver :)

--
"The possibilities are endless. I love that."  - Jonathan Ive