Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 23:44:54 PDT

On Sep 2, 2004, at 11:17 PM, Rod wrote:

>> I'm not a Mac user, so may be there are things I miss, but why do you
>> thing Apple has make a PC with the power button not visible?
>>
>> Also, all the ports in the backside; if you need to connect your
>> digital
>> camera or somenthing, you have to turn on the computer?
>>
>> I just don't get the point.
>> Andy.
>
> I have a 3 year old niece that constantly turns on my mother-in-law's
> iMac, as the power button is on the keyboard and on the front of the
> iMac. She runs amok with the mouse and keyboard, making a mess all
> over the desktop!
>
> Having the button at the back of the machine is brilliant. Also, maybe
> Apple figures you will put the machine to sleep rather than turning it
> off.

I remember my original Apple ][ had a "button" on the keyboard marked
power, which wasn't a button at all, and the power switch was at right
rear of the machine!

This is kind of apple's way of keeping you from turning the machine off
by mistake or having your 2 year old do it for you. With regard to to
the connectors on the back of the system this could be viewed as a pain
or as an opportunity:

http://www.charismac.com/Products/firedino/

Truthfully I use a compact flash media reader which is always plugged
into my mac, so ports being in the rear isn't a problem for my camera,
  plus the new imac ports on it's rear are much more convenient then
having the ports on the back of that beige box hidden under your
desk...

Marty