Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 23:30:19 PDT

On Sep 3, 2004, at 7:39 AM, Andy Galluzzi wrote:

> Also, all the ports in the backside; if you need to connect your
> digital
> camera or somenthing, you have to turn on the computer?

Actually, you bring up an interesting point. Each generation of new
Macs has tried to push the concept of personal computers. The first
iMac, for instance, dumped the floppy drive. the iLamp dumped the CRT.

This latest generation is the first genuine attempt by Apple to dump
the wires. If you will look on the iMac page, you will see references
to one cable--power. The keyboard and mouse are expected to be
wireless, and with BlueTooth, the whole idea of wires is now,
supposedly obsolete.

Now, one may say, "there aren't any cameras with BlueTooth. Or what
about a printer?" Yes, I say, this is correct, but when the original
iMac came out, with no floppy and with no serial, people complained
about the lack of the same. However, it is just these things that push
the whole industry forward. People who "get it" will buy it, and those
who buy it will want the wireless peripherals, and manufacturers will
fill the gap, and then, other computer makers will follow the lead, and
in a year or so, people will begin to forget what it was like to have
to plug in all those wires just to use various devices. It's a little
thing, but I suspect it's the beginning of a big thing. Remember, this
is one of the first desktop computers to have BlueTooth built in.

So, while everybody may not want or appreciate these things for
themselves, they are important changes, and those who do "get it" will
buy it, and push computers forward. If one wishes, he can ride the coat
tails, but not everybody wants to wait for others. So, while some one
may not like or appreciate the new iMac, it hardly makes sense to
criticize it or attempt to marginalize it. Sit back and watch, and see
what happens. We may yet be surprised.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland