Re: [NTLK] Importance of Newton hardware vs. software

From: karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 07:21:30 PDT

Dan Mills wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:02:42 +0200, karel Jansens
> <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be> wrote:
>
>>smoerk wrote:
>

>>Newton is even better still, offering true plug-and-run capability.
>

> Um.. getting wireless working took me a couple of *days*, and there
> was a bunch of resetting involved. Even now that I have it set-up,
> whenever I change my location I have to reset or it won't dhcp
> correctly--I may have misconfigured something, I don't know. I'm
> *very* happy with it, don't get me wrong (really), I just wouldn't say
> it was a "plug-and-run" experience.

Yes, but WiFi wasn't even on the horizon when Newton was still an
active platform. I meant that stuff that the Newton was meant to work
with simply works. You plug in your keyboard and your digitizer
doesn't mysteriously stop functioning. The way the Newton handles
memory cards is especially neat, at least on a par with Psion's.

Karel Jansens