Re: [NTLK] Application Development Requests

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 02:42:12 PDT

Aux environs du 29/10/04 à 17:03 -0500, sous le titre "[NTLK]
Application Development Requests", David M. Ensteness prit sa plus
belle plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>With all the talk about future Newton development a while back I began
>thinking about the thing that really makes a platform long lasting -
>SOFTWARE.
>
>What do we not have that would be extremely useful?

[interesting list]

SFTP depends on SSL and SSH.
VPN depends on SSL as well (AFAIK), plus on some kernel-level
networking elements. There isn't even a loopback interface on the
newton.
LDAP/Database client/Networking tools seem to the be easiest to do.
Networking tools that aren't UDP/TCP based (e.g. ICMP-based) should
be done by sending packets directly to the ethernet card, via the
Lantern interface. This is what Bobby sample code does. You will have
to write an ARP client first. It's completely doable.

As far as SSL and SSH are concerned, the open source libraries out
there providing this have the following problems:
- they rely on the socket networking paradigm, while NewtonOS
networking stack is endpoint-based.
- they rely on ANSI & POSIX APIs and features that are not available
on NewtonOS.
- they rely on global variables which aren't available in NewtonOS.

It's false that it's easier to write a NewtonOS emulator than porting
SSL & SSH.
However, porting NewtonOS over a POSIX kernel & userland would
provide SSL, SSH, IPv6 and lots of other things we lack for free
(including all the ideas you have). IPv6 on the Newton is much harder
than SSL & SSH.

Paul

--
Ministre plénipotentiaire en disponibilité.
Baignoire à vendre.