Re: [NTLK] WHo remembers the marco?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 14:00:05 PDT

The Marco was my first Newton! I loved the wireless
aspect of this device! I hated the handwriting
though...it was passible, but frustrating!
I loved the fact that it shared the same battery as
the Envoy (which I also had).
I dumped the Marco when I got an engineer's release of
a MP120 with OS1.3. I loved the MP120 form factor and
eventually upgraded the 120 to OS2.0...I used wireless
on the MP120 using the several wireless devices. I had
a Motorola CDPD modem, an Ardis wireless modem and
even a Socket pager card...Back then, my primary
connection was wireless. First I used Wyndmail. Then I
switched to DTS, then After DTS was bought out, then
slowly fazed out Newtons and then all I had left was
my Socket card...that eventually went away as
well...now my MP2100 is basically a loner...I don't
need no stinkin' connectivity!

btw, I don't think that there is a possibility of
converting a Marco to 802.11b...at least not an
economical way...and I don't think that the drivers
will work with the Marco's OS...
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Cwashiidcvrmtrs_at_aol.com wrote:

> I was lolly-gagging, waiting for the end of the day
> at work, and came across
> a webpage discussing the many Newton variants. One
> of the mentioned devices
> was the ol' Motorola Marco!
>
> I thought, "Hey, I remember that!"
>
> Then I thought "Hey, it WAS wireless! I had
> forgotten about that!"
>
> THEN I remembered "Hey! I have one!"
>
> I completely forgot I ever owned one, but I sure do.
> Now, before I ge to
> digging around in my mother's basement to find
> it(!), does anyone have any
> opinions on the possibility (and I stress
> possibility, as this idea is coming
> straight outta left field) of the wireless
> capabilities of the Marco being modified
> to do 802.11b wireless?
>
> Just a thought...
>
> Craig W.

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin