Re: [NTLK] [OT] OQO for Newton? NO!

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 10:55:31 PDT

On Oct 16, 2004, at 11:42 PM, Jon Glass wrote:

>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:40:47 -0700, Martin Joseph
>> <martynt_at_barknaturalpet.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is a very real technical reason they developed Windows
>> CE/PocketPC rather then just selling windows in that market...
>
> Actually, Marty, I think that what you are missing is this very point
> that the oqo is trying to make! These guys are trying to tear down the
> walls of technical limitations that have been holding back handheld
> PCs. We all know that handhelds have, up to now, required severe
> limitations in memory, processor speed and storage, as well as
> power-saving features being essential, but think about it this way...

I am not missing this point I just think it to be a poor direction to
go in...

> <snip> Again, simply copy it to your
> PC.
True, this would be convenient,

> I can tell you what I envision. Rather than having one PC, I would like
> to see all that stuff fit on a credit-card-sized memory storage device
> that could be slipped into whatever device I wanted, and whatever data
> contained therein would be accessible on this device, whether it be a
> phone, a music player, a camera a PDA or a desktop or laptop computer.
> I would love to see seamless integration between all these platforms.
That is a lovely dream, and may someday come close to reality...
> This is what I would like to see.... The oqo is merely the first
> serious step in this direction, and I shan't knock it! It may not meet
> my needs--yet, but that does not mean that it couldn't have potential!
It is not the first step. There are many examples of similar ideas and
technologies that have been available for decades with a lot less hype.

> BTW, there is _nothing_ inherently _wrong_ with having a desktop OS on
> a handheld.
I tend to disagree. This is the beauty of Newton IMO. The fact that
it was designed from the ground up to provide a super efficient and
compact model, is what makes so fantastic.

The desktop PC's seemingly limitless(remember when 1Meg was a lot of
ram?) and always expanding resources have led to an incredible
bloatware situation in all of the modern desktop OS's. Make no
mistake, I use and like OSX on a daily basis, and it is an incredible
system. It's not designed for handhelds though.
> This is where scalability would come in. It would have to
> know when it was being used as a handheld, and scale the environment
> appropriately, working with the stylus input and the necessary
> limitations of screen size, etc. I do not see this as an insurmountable
> obstacle. I think it will just take intelligence and some creative
> thinking to make it work and work well.
Maybe so, but this kind of like making a mac truck into a bicycle...
Why not just build a really sweet bicycle instead :~)

> P.S. For the record, the guys who created the oqo worked on the
> original titanium 15" TiBook for Apple, and when they came up with the
> idea for the oqo, left Apple but approached Steve Jobs with the
> proposal, and wanted to use OS X for the operating system!!! You can
> see from the result that Steve Jobs refused them! It might be worth
> considering these things when discussing this device... ... for better
> or for worse...

I am aware of this, and it's irrelevant from my point of view. OSX is
no better suited then XP for a handheld, even with inkwell, which I
have used on a cintique and isn't very friendly or useful...

Marty