[NTLK] [OT] Re: Apple G4 PowerBook Bluetooth to Newt?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 01:23:22 PDT

>From: Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Apple G4 PowerBook Bluetooth to Newt?
>Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 09:59:24 -0700
>
><snip>
> >
> > Brilliant! Maybe if we Titanium Powerbookers pitched in some money for
> > spare mainboard, then we could do a upgrade service - get hacked MB,
> > install, and it it works, send old MB to Marty for hacking... You
> > know, a bit like that Newton card lending service! ;=}
>
>Perhaps you could just stop by Seattle and then we won't need spares :~)

Too long story for NTLK, but if the bad luck holds, I may actually have to
go there, which I'd rather not, or at least under more auspicious
circumstances (and I don't mean the ridiculous procedures inflicted on
travellers at US customs; but even that, I mean, hey - they refused *Cat
Stevens* of all people to enter the country, go figure... And they refused
Senator Kennedy to board flights because he's been on a list of suspected
terrorists... It's a tremendous multibillion dollar remake of McCarthyism
with a different flavour!).

> > What I don't like about the Italian Job is the loss of regular USB
> > functionality (even if apparently only on one port).
> > What I like about the French hack is that it activates a internal
> > built-in
> > port that's otherwise left unused (just like with Eckart's internal BT
> > hack). And I couldn't find anything about any collateral damage to any
> > other functionality, so I'd probably prefer that.
>True, I was kind of thinking about combining the two. It seems as
>though the French hack suggests that the IRDA on your PB(unused solder
>pads on mine) is connected via a Third USB port that is only used for
>the IR...

Much like with the Newt, which the spare serial tucked inside...

>If the above is true, then I should be able to use the USB thumb trick
>as a substitute for the very rare ibook setup and hook it to the
>location where the IR was... This would give me the best of both
>worlds (ie built in bluetooth and two available USB ports).

That would be a hack worthy to document step-by-step and in better quality
pics than those French guys did. Keep me posted

> > I found Alexander Traud's Card Blues Suite http://www.traud.de/bluetooth,
> > which allows *only* the 3Com Wireless Bluetooth PC Card Version 3.0
> > <snip>
>Hey, that's the one I found too. I guess we both know how to use
>google then....

Ah, we is strong in da force!

> > Hmh, I wonder if not maybe Eckart and Alexander should compare notes on
> > their projects... ;=}
>I think Eckhart is doing just fine on his own... I don't want him to
>waste/spend any time on this personally, he's got other things to do...

Yeah, well, I was just thinking that Alexander may have specs of cards that
Eckart hasn't worked with yet, so... perhaps an exchange might be
beneficial to both, I thought. But what do I know.

>After all, my solution to date has been to drill a tiny whole in the
>bluetooth USB thumb I paid $20 for and I use it as a key chain, so it's
>in my pocket when I need it...

I have so much junk, this no worky for me, though basically a good idea.
Naw, I think internal or PC Card is the way for me to go.

> Plus lucky people with newer PB hardware have BT built in anyhow.

Come back in four years, when we've bought their cast-off PBs, and we'll
share a good and hearty laugh. ;=}

'Kasko