Re: [NTLK] Serial port no longer provided on new laptops ...

From: Ronnie Simon (ronnie_simon_at_uk.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 08:11:35 PDT

It is not clear to me that wired Ethernet is particularly useful to me in
a Windows environment, because I believe only NCU under Basilisk, Newton
Data Browser and Newtshare support this mode of working. I will attempt
to try each of these over the next few days.
I should have mentioned that the new laptop PCs arrive with "port
replicators" that do include a serial port, but these are hardly portable.

Regards
                    Ronnie Simon

Gavin McKenzie <gavin.mckenzie_at_gmail.com>
Sent by: newtontalk-bounce_at_newtontalk.net
07-10-04 15:48
Please respond to
newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net

newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
cc

Subject
Re: [NTLK] Serial port no longer provided on new laptops ...

I'll be interested to hear if you get BT to work with your PC laptop.
I've only got it half working with my ThinkPad. I can send notes and
stuff from my Newt, but not vice-versa. And no degree of efforts have
allowed me to have my Newt establish a network connection through my
ThinkPad despite hours and hours of effort messing with all
combinations of BT Serial port configuration, Windows Internet
Connection Sharing, etc.

I'd really love to get it working.

Gavin.

WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles: