Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple G4 500 MHz 15'' Titanium PowerBook - fair price?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 06:18:02 PDT

Thanks all on NTLK and bc for all the good advice! It was really helpful in
checking that machine and making my decision...

....and: I'm buying into the Powerbook thing. It has only a tiny crack in
the case near the headphone plug and about 10 dead pixels and comes with a
brandnew power supply, original box and everything (OSX 10.3, too). The
price will be about 10-15% less than what has been quoted here, plus the
buyer actually demanded serial payments of EUR 50,-- per month. Really cool!

I'll up it with a new and speedy Fujitsu 5400 rpm HD, and fit the old
internal HD into a Firewire/USB-case as external backup medium.

I'm looking forward to use that machine with my Newton via BT (more in a
second) as well as finally have a machine that will allow me to digitize
some precious vinyl and my 78s, which I always wanted to play in my
radioshow, but haven't been able to (no Musicassette drives there, no
minidisc or DAT here...). If Garageband doesn't do the job, then I might
use Audacity for the harddiskrecording and use Pro Tools to see if perhaps
I can even pre-produce radio shows at home. Now I only have to find out
*which* USB-audio device to get. Terratec? Creative? x-Link? Griffin iMic? ...

BT: I'll follow Eckart's recommendation and get myself a Sphinx Pico BT
PC-Card for my Dr. Gruendelstein 2g00. But what should I use for BT on the
Powerbook? A D-Link USB-stick has been recommended, but I dislike the
thought of having stuff sticking out on the back. Has anybody ever tested
the Pico cards in a Powerbook?

Finest regards,

'Kasko