Re: [NTLK] Risky Business

From: Russ Bravo (russbravo_at_lineone.net)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 00:32:59 PST

I can say a hearty 'Amen!' to that, James. As someone who has been
collecting, using, buying and selling
Newtons over the past three years plus, I can say that there are
sellers who I've got to recognise as providing an excellent service,
and who are prepared to ship to me in the UK without charging
ridiculous shipping. I'll always come to them first.

And hopefully, there are buyers who have bought Newtons or Newton
accessories off me - one to one, via the list or on eBay UK, who will
feel they get good value, and who return to buy more when they want to.
I protect my 100% 500+ rating vigorously! Over this time I've only had
2 or 3 bidders who have not paid up, and who I've had to post negative
feedback for. And generally, the UK postal service has done a grand job
in pushing stuff out not just to the UK but to the US, Australia,
Europe and more.

I've only had two packages go wrong - one that came back damaged after
rough handling in transit and an eMate I am just about to remail to
Italy, which somehow the Italian postal services claimed had a wrong
address when it was entirely correct.

With generally small items like Newtons, I'll always ship overseas
provided shipping costs are covered. I'm close to a post office and the
customs form takes about 30 seconds.

On the duty issue, it seems to be entirely random. I've had packages
where I've paid GB 30 customs fee, and others of similar size where
nothing has been charged. Pot luck, really.

Russ, UK