[NTLK] OK, where next...

From: Simon Stapleton (simon_at_tufty.co.uk)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 12:33:41 PDT

Well, my new newt (MP2K) finally turned up. It should be pointed out
that it was advertised to me as being a non-starter, and that's what it
is, so far. I'd like it not to be, obviously. My suspicion was a dead
mobo, hence the fact I bought the thing, after all, an 2100 mobo is
relatively cheap.

So. Out of the packaging, and it looks _very_ tidy. screen with no
noticeable scratching, all the bits in the right place, so far so good.

So. In with power. Wait. Nope, no go.
Reset button, 2 seconds. Nope, no go.
Reset button, 20 seconds. Nope, no go.
Brainwipe sequence. No go.

Hmmm. Looks bad. We carry on.

Disassembly. Not good. It has been disassembled before, and it
doesn't look like it was done with enormous care. 2 fairly heavily
mangled catches, OK, not a problem. Backlight cable doesn't look
good. The connector has been pretty much destroyed. Hmmm. Still,
looks to be connected. It's also been used with alkalines at some
point, I would guess, and they have leaked inside the case. Battery
compartment does not look nice from the outside, corrosion on inmost
terminal. Still, not necessarily a problem, speshly if I replace the
mobo ;-)

Apply power. There is power to the points nearest the power connector,
and at the correct levels. Good.

Reseat rom. go through above sequence, still no go.

Test power switch. tests good.

OK. Delve deeper. Remove motherboard (totally destroying backlight
cable connector in process, but I have spares for that, so no worries
there).

This does not look good. Corrosion around and on touchscreen terminals
/ cable. Eeeagh.

I have a deep suspicion that this is where the problem lies. Any ideas
on where to go next?

Simon

--
PGP Key Id : 0x50D0698D