Re: [NTLK] Virus laden messages

From: Ryan Bruels (bruels_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 09:05:13 PDT

Well, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the list.
At least not directly. One of the Windows users on this list probably
had a virus at one point; but since most of these Windows viruses (I
will not start a platform war, I will not start a platform war) harvest
and spoof e-mails all over the globe, some poor sap in Buffalo could
have got your e-mail address through one of the viruses a long time ago
and it's just now spoofing yours because the time feels right.

I agree it's probably not a dictionary attack. These recent viruses
don't operate in that fashion, and getting e-mail addresses in that
fashion would be extremely inefficient. Much better to go after the
address books.

Ryan