Re: [NTLK] UNNA Ideas

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 13:38:56 PDT

Jeffrey McMurtrie wrote:

> Hey everyone, I just thought of a few changes for UNNA which might be
> useful. Both are really great (Thanks Victor!!,) and I am not trying
> to speak negatively about them :).
>
> Pictures - I don't know if this is possible, but I think it'd be great
> if you could upload a pic or two related to an application like (I
> think,) at versiontracker.com. Then people could decide the
> suitability of an app before installing it on their Newton.

That's a good idea, I'll add that to the list.

> OS Version Search Field - Recently a lot of people have been asking for
> a list of 1.x software, so maybe it would be good if there was a
> description field where you could select the OS the app works on..

I actually didn't realize that that field was missing from the form... that's
two more things to work on :)

> Wiki Links - It may be good to have a place for a few links to the Wiki
> in addition to the developers website. For example Tibet could be
> linked to a Wiki page about what cameras it works with, etc.

That could be done by people writing descriptions... I do read and check them
all before approving them but I don't always have time to embellish in great
detail where needed.

> Edit Descriptions - Sometimes descriptions may be incomplete, in need
> of update, or inaccurate, so maybe it would be good to have a button
> which could be clicked to edit the description.

Another good one, although I could just bring some editors in and give them
access to the admin interface.

> Application Update Upload Button - When looking through UNNA I found
> that a number of applications had much older versions that what is
> currently available, so maybe it would be good if there was a link much
> like 'Submit a Description,' where you could upload a new version of
> the app rather than uploading the new version to the queue. I have
> done that with a number of packages recently such as MAD Max.

Wow, these are seriously all great ideas!

Right now I need to add a few more things to make the admin interface easier
to deal with and then I'll probably be looking for editors to help me out...