[NTLK] Birthday Apps, a reprise...

From: Matthew Reidsrow (junkmail_at_reidsrow.com)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 10:47:38 PDT

Greetings Listers,

Back in February, we had a nice little discussion about birthday helper
applications and Lag Green mentioned a package called "Date Reminder"
that would allow you to enter birthdays and anniversaries for people
without adding a separate Names card for each. Since I'm rebuilding my
trashed Names library from scratch, I'm looking forward to *not* having
350 Names cards for the 150 odd people I know (and their kids and
spouses...) I've been making use of the Affiliate function in Names,
but I still wanted to utilize the Birthdays feature for those
affiliates of my contacts. So, I tried Date Reminder. However, since I
primarily rely on Avi's Backdrop v.1.31 to remind me of these events, I
ran into a snag with Date Reminder: Paul Guyot has rewritten Avi's to
pull dates from the Names cards rather from the Dates soup, and so Date
Reminder Names don't appear in Avi's. Does anyone have any suggestions
for a program that will add birthdays and anniversaries *and* work with
a newer version of Avi's? Or should I just downgrade Avi's (and lose
the random backdrop picture ability)?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Matthew Reidsma
Boston, Mass, U.S.A.