[NTLK] LPR driver, won't print and keeps popping up the print box

From: Adam Short (ajs_at_orinoco.homelinux.org)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 14:59:50 PDT

I installed the LPR driver to see if I could get my emate to talk to the
printer without the frustration entailed by the appletalk approach
(which I still can't get to work, despite my girlfriend's powerbook
being able to print fine). I've configured it correctly, to the best of
my knowledge, and when I try to print, it goes through the motions of
trying to connect, appears to send the print job, then pops up the print
dialog again. Nothing happens on the printer and there are no jobs
queued. I'm using CUPS on a linux box running Debian Sid/Sarge. I don't
know the name of the queue (or how to find out), I've never really got
too involved in printing, basically, as long as it works I've just left
it alone. The printer is the default in CUPS, that much I know. I left
the queue option alone, since, as I understand it, it will use the
default queue that way. I set the driver to spool before printing. If I
turn that off I get an error saying the newton was unable to print,
otherwise it just goes back to the print dialog without giving any
errors at all.

Anyone any idea what's happening?