[NTLK] "Complete Moron's Guide(TM) to SimpleMail 4.3 on NOS 2.1" at the Wiki, but [Q] no Receive yet - huh? (was Re: [Q] SimpleMail walkthrough)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 08:00:08 PDT

>DJ Vollkasko wrote:
>>23 pages about all bells and whistles is too long, I'm looking for
>>something that goes 1., 2., 3. etc. for just the basic setup with
>>SimpleMail and Text Stationary (and maybe one or multiple mail accounts).

And I found it! At the Wiki of course! Isn't that amazing! What a complete
surprise, y'all!
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/SimpleMail%204.3%20on%20NOS%202.1
has everything besides multiple accounts and all those bells and whistles.
It's easy, it's concise, only doesn't really tell (yet) how to get Receive
to work. Help me, and soon it will:

Q: I didn't get Receive to work yet - it doesn't show me what's on the
server, nor does it download anything. All hints appreciated.

Q: Anybody got a clue what Newton Error 999 means (it's not in the
Errorcode-DB, thank you ;=} )? I get this after successfully sending a mail
out and after connecting to the SMTP server when trying to receive.

>I think this is a case where RTFM (all 23 pages) is a good idea.

Man, I'm *SO* RTFM like you wouldn't believe. ;=} It's just that the SM
Guide is not structured in a way that's really suitable for me, I can't
really well separate what applies to configuring SM, what to Send and what
to Receive, and how to progress and troubleshoot SM. I actually start to
appreciate Simon's pun in picking *THAT* title for the manual.

>If you read what the parts do and follow the setup religiously (I know we're
>not supposed to discuss religion on the list, but this is a case where
>it's required) following all the steps in order, SimpleMail will work
>very well for you.

Okay, Peter -- we'll make a deal so both of us atone for our, uh, sins:
I'll RTFM once more (after what seems a half dozen times already), I'll put
it up on the Wiki together with the rest, and you'll review two mail apps
of your choice over at
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MessagingApplications . Deal?

>Try to set it up hit-and-miss and you'll be a very unhappy camper.

No wonder, I only got berry cheepee teepee, mistah. As long as it don't
rain, I'll be okay, though. If donkey get wet, so what. ;=}

Cheers,

DJV.