Re: [NTLK] NTK Classic Vs. Windows

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 06:33:08 PDT

Richard Chamberlain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to start some Newton Development but I wondered what the best way
> of going about it
> was.
>
> At the moment I have a 12" PowerBook, with no classic installed.
>
> I also have VirtualPC and have been able to install NTK and using a
> KeySpan adapter be able
> to connect to my Newton.
>
> Are projects cross-platform? - i.e. is there a way to open a Mac NTK
> project on Windows. I
> have an example project which is in Mac format but I've not been able to
> open it so far.

They're not directly cross-platform compatible. There is a conversion tool to
go from Mac NTK to Win NTK projects.

Also there are tons of examples on UNNA, and all of the Apple examples come in
both NTK flavours:

http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/development/Examples

> Also am I better off trying to install classic and running the Mac NTK - I
> expect it will be
> faster, but does everything work with classic OK? Having said that I'm not
> sure whether my powerbook came with classic.

It's sort of a six-of-one, half-dozen of the other situation. If you decide
to go the Mac NTK and Classic route, you should make sure you read this note
about Mac NTK and serial ports:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-development.html#VIIA1a