[NTLK] Newtendo, Newton, Info on Project.

From: Eagan Rackley (eagix_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 10:56:07 PDT

Hi all :)

After being defunked for nearly a month, (the screen would no longer
take pen input) I've been able to fix my newton, and I'm getting set up
for development on newtendo again.

Just wanted to send out an FYI that I and the project are still alive;)
I've been getting lots of inquiries as to the status of the project.

As far as questions regarding the stretched screen size, this is not a
feature I plan to change. The way you see it now is the way it's going
to be. I'll try to get some screen shots up in the future for anyone
worried that their screen is not looking right. (I've gotten several
complaints about this that say it's, "unplayable" though I completely
disagree:). The next version (Thanks to victor) will rotate
automatically no matter which screen mode you are in.

I'll try to move my website to newtontalk as soon as I have a new update
ready. That said, can someone please help me with soups? I just don't
have time to read the docs over, and I've kind of got a mental block
with them :(. I need a basic: How you create a soup, how you write
binary data to a soup, how you read binary data from a soup, and how to
delete a soup. If someone could write me up a quick tutorial on how this
works, I will add a feature to save SRAM so that you can continue games
with battery packs like Willow, Zelda, and Final Fantasy.

So, the next version will support 2 more mappers, have keyboard support
that does not disappear, will autmatically change screen mode, and will
also get rid of those ugly lines that would appear because of the
gradient I was drawing on the screen. A few games that now work include
Ys, Super Mario 2, Super Mario 3 (has some bugs), Snake Rattle and Roll
(awesome game), Ninja Gaiden, CastleVania, Battle of Olympus, Metal
Gear, and more!

Thanks everyone for your patience! Please someone help me with soups,
it'll greatly speed the next release of the best Newton NES emulator to
date! (since it's the only one, I get to make this claim:) I will of
course give full credit, and do with your sources what you want me to :).

-Eagan
http://home.earthlink.net/~eagix/