Re: [NTLK] [OT] I think SONY went nuts a while ago

From: Scot McSweeney-Roberts (newton_at_mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 09:35:24 PDT

Oliver Brose wrote:

>What do I need a ultracompact, ultraportable computer for that will have me constantly searching for an AC-outlet to plug in the AC adaptor I have to keep lugging with me? Why is the industry unable to get this? Anything ultraportable that cannot provide five hours of real usage-time is useless, IMVHO.
>
>What do you think?
>
>Oliver :/

The need to be hooked up to AC problem is the main reason why I've never
understood why they market WiFi stuff for use in offices - if I have to
plug my laptop into the mains am I really getting much benefit from not
having to plug it into the ethernet at the same time? OK, now the WiFi
buzz has moved onto useing it when you're out and about and drinking
coffee, but a couple of years ago it was all about office use - I
remember talking to a salesman at Compaq about it and when I said 'but I
still have to hook it up to the mains, so what's the point' (or words to
that effect) he couldn't come up with a decent answer.

So I think the industry has to come up with either long usage portable
power (batteries, fuel cells, etc) that run for at least a whole
business day or some method of transmiting power wirelessly (didn't
Tesla do that 100 years ago). Untill then I think a lot of these
portable solutions are going to be facing a bit of an uphill battle to
gain acceptance.

Scot