[NTLK] [OT] I think SONY went nuts a while ago

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 08:28:39 PDT

Did you already see this?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/10/sony_micro_pc/

Does SONY actually do market research, or any research, or something? Just from the pictures I can see that this device will provide plenty of difficulties in active use as there are always buttons where one would rest one's hand, navigation controls will be tricky for left-handed users even if the display is rotated by 180°. Why in the world would someone want to have a desktop OS in a pen-based machine with a screen as tiny as this? Who does not cringe over 2,5 hours of battery time? The input device does not really look as if it is intended to be used for writing *sigh*
With a processor half as fast and a less demanding OS, plus replacing 10GB of HD with maybe one GB of flash memory this device could last longer and sell for less.

What do I need a ultracompact, ultraportable computer for that will have me constantly searching for an AC-outlet to plug in the AC adaptor I have to keep lugging with me? Why is the industry unable to get this? Anything ultraportable that cannot provide five hours of real usage-time is useless, IMVHO.

What do you think?

Oliver :/

--
"The possibilities are endless. I love that."  - Jonathan Ive