Re: [NTLK] [OT] Newton, PocketPC & Palm

From: newton_at_the-monkey.net
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 17:41:25 PDT

> I've noticed a few posts a while back in passing mentioning
> how "evil" PalmOS was. I was wondering about PocketPCs then, as I
haven't seen
> anyone talking about them.
> I was just in Guam over the last Golden Week, and I picked up an iPaq
> 5450 for $200. $200 got me BlueTooth, WiFi, 64Megs RAM & a
> 400Mhz proc.
> It's also the model which uses fingerprint recognition as a
> password to
> get in. I also have a Palm Tungsten C which cost quite a bit more and
> has WiFi built in. No BlueTooth though :^(
> Don't get me wrong though, I love the Green. I have a 2100, an 130, a
> 100 & an eMate... I also have a collection of Macs in the
> double-digits.
>
> In the interest of becoming a more well-rounded person :^) ..how
> exactly is Palm evil, in peoples opinions? Are PocketPCs also
> evil? Is
> anyone out there using a Portfolio?

Hi Nick, I actually use a folio for making general notes and such when
away from my desk.

We also have an Ipaq, 4150 I think, and it is a seriously good piece of
hardware, also has built in wifi (with better range than any of our
other devices, believe it or not) & bluetooth, and an excellent bright
screen (and the backlight doesn't do the awful Newton whine thing, which
is nice if I'm reading an ebook in bed), and the handwriting recognition
is actually better for my scrawl than the Newton. Has surprisingly good
battery life as well, considering all the things we do with it.

I also have a Palm, I don't think much of it at all, but it is an old
one. (Palm V? not sure, can't even find it.)

The Ipaq is definitely my favourite now, even though it is still
somewhat unintuitive in some ways (clicking close doesn't really
shutdown an application, for example).

Cheers,
Morgan

--
Morgan Nichol     -     morgan_at_quirk.co.nz
09 6200 548       -     021 159 0736