Re: [NTLK] [ANN] LPR Driver 1.0

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 23:25:39 PDT

On May 9, 2004, at 12:08 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:

> Aux environs du 8/05/04 à 21:09 -0500, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
> [ANN] LPR Driver 1.0", James Nichols prit sa plus belle plume pour
> écrire les mots suivants:
>> In preparation for moving to this new version of the LPR driver I
>> erased the old lpr driver and setup packages from my newton by
>> scrubbing them out in Extras. I then installed the new LPR driver
>> package, and... nothing.
>
> I should have developed more about the update path. You needed indeed
> to delete the old packages.
> That's weird. Is it really in the Extensions folder of the Extras
> drawer?

Yes, it does show up in the Extensions folder

Pkg Info reports it as being:
LPR Driver:40hz&Kallisys
Version 1; 2.x; Parts 2

>> When I go to print the option to 'Choose LPR printer' isn't present in
>> the Printer picklist. but a printer I had set up with the old lpr
>> driver still exists. Am I missing something here? Do I need the setup
>> package after all with the new extension?
>
> No. There is now a single, autonomous package, called LPR Driver.

I thought this was the case - just wanted to triple check.

>> Do I need to get a tool to
>> muck about with the soups on my newton, so that I can remove the stray
>> printer setup?
>
> Normally, the old printer setup information is simply not used. You
> can delete the old soup called "LPR Printers" in Extras/storage,
> though (both the new and the old soup appear as "LPR Printers").
>
> What is really weird is that Choose LPR Printer isn't shown on your
> Newton. Did you get any error or anything?

No errors. The funky thing is that if I try to print to the printer I
had set up with the old drivers, whatever print driver system is
actually on my newton goes through the steps of connecting to my print
server (doesn't actually print - CUPS still hates me) - should the new
driver be capable of handling an old setup like this?

> Have you tried to reboot your Newton?

Yup - have rebooted - no change in behavior

Tyler

---