Re: [NTLK] More dumb mac/newt questions: packtype, dock, and newtonbooks

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 22:04:45 PDT

on 5/2/04 3:57 AM, Rhonda Hyslop at 0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net wrote:
> How does that relate to the size of the text (or RTF) file used as a
> source?

I believe that the newtonbook will be twice this size on the desktop
computer, but about the same or a little larger than the rtf on the
Newton... This has something to do with the fact that the newtonbook is
formatted with 2bit unicode, so each character is twice it's size, and
padded with a null or something. If you could open a Newton book in a text
editor (only don't use recent versions of Word--it strips these nulls) you
will see the empty blocks that represent the padding between each character.
And the program needs all that and more to compile the book.

Since you have 12 meg, but with virtual memory on, 24, you need to be
careful. You want to make sure that, in the "About this Mac" window in the
Finder, the memory used by your System and by the book making application,
combined, come to less than 12 megs. If they don't your computer will be
forced to use the hard drive as RAM, thus slowing down your computer
horrendously, but usually ending quite disastrously in a system crash or
hang. I don't remember if the 575 can take more than twelve megs. If it
does, I probably have some chips sitting around that it can use.

What memory does this computer take? # of pins? Speed, etc... I've got a
Quadra 650 sitting around. I think they share the same ram, right?

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland