Re: [NTLK] OT: new Indian pda- amida simputer

From: Sean Cross (newton_at_9bit.net)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 10:09:26 PST

On Mar 29, 2004, at 8:57 AM, Luiz Petroni wrote:

> FlipFlop Montion Sensor...
> Autorotate and AutoZoom based on the user moviment...
>
> From the site...
>
> "For instance, you can turn the pages of an e-book with a gentle flick
> of the wrist! Just like your turn the pages of... a regular book. Or,
> let's say your Photo Album has a resplendent night-time shot of the Taj
> Mahal. You feel it's a crime to view it in portrait mode. So what do
> you do? Flip the Simputer 90 degrees, and... the picture will re-align
> itself into landscape mode."
>
> "To zoom into a picture, just pull the Simputer towards you. To zoom
> out, you guessed it - pull it away
> Close a program with a dismissive wave of the hand
> All this is possible thanks to the built-in Flip Flop Motion Sensor
> (geeks bizarrely call it "accelerometer"), again a first for the Amida
> Simputer"
>
> I remember someone posting a link about an implementation with PocketPC
> but with additional external hardware.
>
> -lpetroni

As I recall, this was part of an iPaq prototype, and I believe they
dubbed it "Rock-and-Scroll".
I remember seeing a video of someone playing Doom on an iPaq by tilting
the screen
left and right. Tilting it forward caused the player to go forward,
and tilting it all the way
forward caused them to shoot.

Getting back on the Amida, from the website it seems as their Paper
program is just a drawing program like Newt Works, and doesn't actually
have any sort of HWR, and it uses a soft keyboard for input. Anyone
else get that from the page?